Friday, January 7, 2011

Awkward First Post

This blog is going to be used throughout my semester in Alexandria, Egypt with Middlebury College. I hope to drastically improve my Arabic and learn more about Middle Eastern society, especially given the recent turmoil in Egypt and the upcoming elections. I'm horrible at keeping in touch while away so I hope family and friends can keep tabs on me through this blog. Huge thanks to Christine for setting it up for me and dealing with my pickyness and plainness on the layout.

I'm mostly packed, and I leave tonight. The snow, still falling, might delay that right now but its a nice send off. I fly to London tonight where I will have a seven hour layover, meet up with Jackie and Selin hopefully, and then continue on to Cairo, landing around midnight, scheduled. From there a car has been arranged by Midd to pick me up and drive to Alex, Inshallah getting there before morning. Unfortunately, Ramy is off playing in the desert and I won't be seeing him till next week.

Some recent news about Egypt and especially about Copts and new security arrangements.

2 comments: