Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pictures: Chefchouan

Last weekend a ton of us took a 4+ hour bus to a mountain city called Chefchouan. It's a small city in the mountains, I think basically between Fez and Tangier. The city, despite these pictures, is beautiful. The houses and walls are painted a light blue and were painted that by Jews who came upon the place, when I'm not sure and I haven't completely figured out, but I did read that when Spanish troops came to take the city in 1920, they found Jewish inhabitants speaking medieval Catalan, so maybe they showed up during the Inquisition? No one could really give me a straight answer, but it was a great small town. The mountains were amazing and as you can see we went for a hike, which was great. The town was touristy but far less stressful to be in, shop in, than Fez. I did quite a bit of shopping for all my people, and never want to talk about jelleba's (the traditional robe/sweater) again. 

It was great to get away for the weekend and feel like I was traveling again, and get away from the crush of work we're under. Next weekend we're going into the desert and taking an all night camel excursion (or that's what I'm told). I hope to have way better pictures of that. 


View of the city from a top the hike/mosque location


View from the tower of a fort. 

Same tower


Main tourist courtyard/where the restaurants are

The mountainside and the road leading to the town.


From inside that tower
The city is built on different levels, connected by stairs with parallel streets


Behold the blue
Picture of me, I finally took one. That's a jelleba I got there. It's thin but very comfortable


The clouds were low, maybe we'll go back for more hikes. 





No comments:

Post a Comment